Monday, May 7, 2012

Australian 102

Boy has time gotten away from me!  It's been two months since my last post, and I can't honestly say that I've been busy, simply lazy.  We've done a few exciting things in the last couple of months, but I'm mostly looking forward to our trip to Europe at the end of May.  We leave just about 3 weeks from today...  In the meantime...the answers to the pop quiz from last time.  I hope none of you have been anxiously awaiting your scores.  

1.  Arvo = Afternoon.  I couldn't tell you where it came from, but that is what it means.

2.  Rock Melon = canteloupe.  

3.  McOz = A Macca's (McDonald's - there's another one for you!) burger with beet root on it.  Yuck.

4.  Capsicum = Bell peppers.  I can't tell you how many times this one has thrown me off.

5.  Coriander = Cilantro.  This one has also thrown me off on a fairly regular basis.

6.  Rubbish tip = The trash dump.  I haven't had a whole lot of use for this one, so I'm not entirely sure why I learned it.

7.  Prawn = big shrimp.

8.  Shrimp = little shrimp (like bay shrimp).

9.  Lollies = candy.

10.  Chewie = Chewing gum

11.  Softie = Soft drink, soda, etc.

12.  Rocket = Arugula

13.  Chook = Chicken

14.  Blockie = Going around the block.  As in, I missed the turn, I'll just chuck a blockie (see number 15 for chuck).

15.  Chuck (As in chuck a sickie) = To do something.  Chuck a blockie = go around the block.  Chuck a sickie = take a sick day from work.

16.  Chemist = Pharmacy

17.  Lift = Elevator

18.  Tomato Sauce (No, it's not ketchup) = A ketchup looking sauce that tends to be more water and less sweet.  Ketchup is a rarity here.

19.  Fanny = Female genitalia.  Please don't ever tell anyone you are going to carry your "fanny pack" here.  If you do in fact feel the need to wear one of these, please call it a "bum pack."

20.  Foot path = Sidewalk.

21.  Thongs = Flip flops.

22.  Jag = Luck out.  As in, I jagged that parking spot.

23.  Ripped = Really good.  Will also be used in the form ripper, or that's a ripper.

24.  Ranger (also known as a Bluie) = A red head.  Short for Orangutan.  Yes, it's offensive, but even the zoos here have gotten on board with it and on one day a year offer any red heads free admission.

25.  Main = Entree.  Entree = Appetizer.  Don't confuse them.

No comments:

Post a Comment